Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ten Reasons I Support Barak Obama

The following reasons come from the blog of one of my colleagues, Jeffrey Mishlove. I can't say it any better.

Honesty: Obama has consistently conducted himself with dignity, honesty and character during this campaign. In this regard, he shows a striking contrast with his opponent, Senator McCain, whose campaign has been characterized by major media outlets as one of the sleaziest and dishonest in modern electoral history.

Global Stature: Obama will work hard to restore America’s stature in the world. His opponent, Senator McCain, shows many signs of continuing the same foreign policies of George W. Bush that have alienated us from our own allies and have caused people around the world to fear and distrust us.

Economic Solutions: Obama will seek real solutions to the very serious economic problems this country faces. His opponent, a champion of excessive deregulation, carries with him the very same mindset that helped to create many of these problems. And, as Albert Einstein once said, you cannot solve a problem from the mindset that created it.

American Unity: Obama’s campaign, as is embodied in his own life story, represents a serious effort to bring all Americans together – regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation or political philosophy. His opponent, while occasionally mouthing the language of national unity, has built a campaign based upon vicious sarcasm and policies that tend to focus on “wedge issues” that divide Americans rather than unite them.

Knowledge: Obama is a brilliant scholar, highly educated, a professor of constitutional law, and very knowledgeable about many subjects including law, economics, and world affairs. His opponent was a poor student whose public statements frequently demonstrate both confusion and an attempt to oversimplify complex issues.

Equal Opportunity: Obama is a Democrat and supports policies that will provide greater economic and social opportunities for all citizens. His opponent is a Republican and supports the same policies that have dominated our country for 28 of the last 40 years (since I have been a voter). The consequence of those Republican policies is that the richest 1% of the population have controlled an ever-increasing share of the economic pie – leaving less and less for the remaining 99%.

Judgment: Obama has consistently opposed the invasion of Iraq. His opponent has consistently supported this unprovoked, expensive and unnecessary war.

Diplomacy: Obama supports a foreign policy based upon diplomacy and discussion whenever possible. His opponent, Senator McCain, has consistently based his discussions of foreign policy upon threats of violence and war (i.e., “bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran”).

Privacy Rights: Obama believes that the government has no business interfering in medical decisions that women make with regard to their own bodies and reproductive systems. His opponent, McCain, wishes to criminalize a woman’s right to choose.

Maturity: Obama has consistently based his campaign on the pressing issues that Americans face regarding healthcare, jobs, and foreign policy. His opponent -- since he cannot win on the issues -- has consistently attempted to distract voters from the issues by focusing on trivial questions of style, celebrity, language and personality (i.e.,false indignation about "lipstick on a pig" or comparisons with Britney Spears and Paris Hilton).