Monday, September 11, 2006

Important Deaths
I am, of course, thinking of the people who died together in 2001 on this date, in NY, PA, and DC. I'm thinking of the ones who are now dying of inhalation-related illnesses caused by the WTC collapse. I'm also moved in an inexplicable way by the recent bizarre death of Steve Irwin, the crocodile man. Certain deaths have such a strong symbolic impact, as though by their form they are meant to break open our minds and punctuate an important point. What is important when we contemplate deaths? Certainly, to reinforce our determination to live our own lives in a way we admire the dead people for living theirs. And for being courageous and graceful, generous even, in the way they faced death and passed through it. And, to not be part of "the living dead," which some days I feel I border on, living shallowly and not appreciative of all that I have and can be aware of. So, today, I resolve to live more consciously!!